Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Hungry Skeleton

 

 Last night, Mr. flyskim and I had our annual Halloween dinner at La Calaca Comelona in Southeast Portland.  This is, hands down, my favorite restaurant in Portland, and we don't eat here as often as I'd like.  This is the one exception I make to my boycott of spicy food, and I've never had a bad meal here.  From the moles to the enchiladas Morelianas (regional to Morelia, chicken and potato based and like no other enchilada you've ever eaten) to the chile relleno, everything is fresh and wonderfully made.  (Can you tell I'm not a food critic?  No descriptive abilities whatsoever.)  The old menu used to warn you that you were about to enjoy authentic regional Mexican cuisine (southern and central) and that you would not find burritos on the menu.  The restaurant is filled with pictures of Frida Kahlo and Day of the Dead images.

La Calaca Comelona means "The Hungry Skeleton" and, according to the restaurant's website, it "celebrates the traditional spirit of the dead that playfully makes its way into Mexican culture."  So, perfect for this time of year.  There is also an annual Day of the Dead Dinner on November 2nd with a fixed menu.  We've never attended, but I hear it's a blast.

Mr. flyskim would not let me take a picture of my meal (Levanta Muertos or Wake the Dead, a yummy combination of chicken, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, black beans and rice), so here's a picture of Salma Hayek as Frida Kahlo. 



No comments: