Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Season of Advent


One of my favorite childhood memories was the annual Advent calendar my parents would bring home for me.  This was many decades ago before the commercial calendars starting coming with daily chocolate.  Or maybe there have always been candy advent calendars but I lived in blissful ignorance because I never got one.  (And to be sure, if there had been chocolate involved, I would have gotten one.  Although my father would probably definitely have eaten all of the candy before he gave it to me.  I'm not kidding.  This is a man who eats whole cakes in a single sitting and then claims he didn't eat that much.)

I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately, wishing for holiday traditions that my family never had and that Mr. flyskim has little interest in cultivating now.  I think it has something to do with how dependent on me my father has been since he was sick earlier this year, this longing for childhood comfort.  Absolutely no way getting around being a grown up now.  So I am returning to something I love:  the countdown to Christmas.  I know that Advent started Sunday, so I'm a little late for counting down based on the liturgical year, but oh well. 

Look for my Advent posts each day until Christmas.  I did this outside my cube at work a couple of years ago, and it was a lot of fun.  I hope you enjoy it.

Also?  I have a skirt that should be ready for the end of the week for those who are checking for sewing content.  And this week, I start fitting the Christmas dress!

No comments: