Sunday, August 5, 2012

Curtain Up!

Actually, it's more like five curtains.  Or exactly five curtains.  Still not done, but getting there.  Seriously, what home sewer has not thought that they should just run up a few curtain panels and later regretted that decision?  Not because they're difficult but because they're a bit of a pain.  I have made most of the curtains in our house, and I hate the process every time.  But I'm determined to get this done by the end of the summer.  Now, if only the weather would cooperate and cool down so that I could finish the three panels I have left.  (I'm sewing in my kitchen, and we get direct afternoon sun from about 2 p.m. on in the nook where I'm set up.  It's in the 90s this weekend, we don't have air conditioning, and I'm a terrible baby about hot weather).  Here's one of my finished windows!


As you can see, there's nothing too complicated about them.  Just rectangular panels hung on a tension rod.  The tension rod decision was made partly because we like the mill work around the windows and don't want to screw into it and partly because I didn't have quite enough fabric.  Gaining the extra couple of inches by only making these to fit inside the window frame really helped stretch the material.

So, I'm still plugging away.  Work's a minor nightmare due to summer, too, with everyone trying to go on vacation at the same time.  Except me.  We try to take advantage of not being tied to a school schedule by taking our vacations during off times.  But with the summer coming to a close soon, the workload should be getting distributed a little more evenly, so it looks like there's an end in sight and I might get my spare time back in a few weeks.  I'll post final pictures when the curtains are done!

No comments: