Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Grey and the Blue

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm picking up Lady Grey again, and not a moment too soon because the wind around here is frigid (at least from my perspective; I mean, I know that I don't live on the frozen tundra...or, you know, someplace actually cold), and I would like a new coat to greet what I'm hoping will be snow in February.  I'm currently coming down off a stress-induced shopping high from before Christmas, so I'm not buying anything for a month or two (we'll see how long that lasts), so the only way I'm getting that new coat is to work on something I already have.  Lady Grey is by far the furthest along, so it's the winner by default. 

When we last left Lady Grey, I had just finished pad-stitching the front lapels and was working on fusing interfacing to the back pieces when I messed up.  I forgot to trim the hem from the interfacing on one of the pieces and fused it anyway.  Luckily, I had plenty of extra fabric, but I had no interfacing left.  And that's where we stand today.  Except that I got some interfacing (one of the allowable exceptions to the shopping ban), so I'm ready to go again. 

So, the big question now is, where do I pick up again?  With tailoring the coat back.  Because I'm a little lost at this point (as well as the fact that I've never made a coat before) I'm going to rely on Gertie's tutorial and hope for the best.  Mr. flyskim is playing dodgeball tomorrow, so I've got the whole uninterrupted evening to cut my new back piece and finish interfacing everything.  Maybe I can even get the back stay cut out.  I'll be back with pictures because this is likely to be a learning experience on my end, and pictures will help me remember what not to do next time. 

How's everybody's January shaping up? 

No comments: