Thursday, August 20, 2009

One Step Forward . . .

. . . and two steps back. You know the song. Everybody sing!

First, the good news. The stain on the kitchen doorway is fixed!!! It's all pretty and even. I still need to put one more coat on the whole doorway and a second on the board that caused all of the problems, but it's fixed and it's beautiful and I didn't ruin our house. Such a relief.

And I finished staining the window frame!!! We'll prime and paint the windows themselves this weekend, and then we can have our window put back together! Isn't it pretty and glossy? Lessons learned from all of this? (1) Don't rely on your sketchy memory of the brief lesson in staining that your father gave you a decade ago. Look at the directions on the can of stain, and if you have any more questions, look it up. (2) Don't try to eke every last drop of stain out of the can. Take your cheap butt to the store and buy a new can of stain when the old one starts to get gloppy. (I know we could probably just add lacquer thinner to the old can, but as simple as that sounds, I'm pretty sure that that's a learning curve I don't want to mess with. And I just got my nails done).

Which brings us to the bad news. You would think with having already stained the large doorway and the built-in, I would have figured out how to stain by now, but that turns out to not be the case. Once again, please note how glossy both the window and the doorway look. Now please notice how the finish on the large doorway does not have any gloss to it at all. Yeah, different finishes. That's kind of a problem. We used the same exact product on all the wood, but I changed my application method which has resulted in a glossy finish in some places and a satin finish in others. Both mr. flyskim and I like the glossy finish better, so that means in order to match the finish throughout the dining room, we have to sand down the two largest and most time consuming pieces in the room, the large doorway and the built-in, and apply a few new coats of stain. (If anyone who reads this actually knows what they're doing refinishing wood, please don't hurt yourself too badly laughing at me.)

A lot of the blogs that I've been lurking on for the past several years (scared yet?) often post pictures of their wonderful and delicious looking meals, so I thought I'd take a page from that book and show you our dinner (so monkey see, but I don't care). Fish sticks!!! Actually, these are last week's fish sticks, but we had them again tonight. They were both yummy and convenient. Come fall, I promise to do something much more impressive food-wise, but our kitchen gets direct sun in the afternoon, and the quicker I can put something together and get out of the kitchen, the better.

No comments: