Thursday, August 13, 2009

Don't Do This at Home

-or-
How Not To Apply Wood Stain

We had a small setback on staining the kitchen doorway this past weekend. The picture to the right is the doorway in it's halfway corrected stage, and it will stay this way until this weekend. So, what when wrong? I tried to fix a problem with half set stain and ended up with some pretty horrific blotchy areas on the top portion of the right side of the doorway. The left side was looking so nice that I got a little overconfident. Combine that with a desperate need to be done with something (anything), and there lies the path to big, giant FAIL.

After I finished crying and had a glass of wine, I calmed down a little. A little. So on Saturday, I'll finish lifting some of the color off the bottom of the right side of the doorway, re-sand and re-stain. It will look pretty. It will! (Insert foot stamp here.)

Which means that there has been no knitting or sewing here in the last several days. But you know where there has been some sewing? At my sister-in-law's house. About a month ago, she asked me how hard it would be to make curtains, and two weeks ago, I taught her how to use my sewing machine and talked her through some simple panel curtains. She's been going gangbusters ever since.

No comments: