Monday, June 18, 2012

The Rule Is . . .


. . . Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today.

At least that's the way it works if you're listening to the White Queen.  It's jam only every other day, and since today isn't any other day, there's never jam today.  And that's what it feels like around here.

 
When I first started this venture at the farmer's market on Saturday morning, I hadn't realized that this was going to be a multi-day process.  Totally my fault for not actually reading the recipe and adding up the time for all the required steps.  I will definitely do that next time.  Which will be soon because, yikes, do I have a lot of berries in the fridge.

My little makeshift preserving center.
On Saturday, I washed and cut berries, but I didn't finish until the afternoon.  Since I didn't want to soak the berries in sugar for longer than the stated time, I didn't do that until Sunday.  And then after they were heated on Sunday, they needed to sit for 24 hours before processing.  That brings us to today.  Day 3.

Look at it go!
And now that the jars are processed, they can't be disturbed for another 12 to 24 hours.  So, no jam today.  But there will be jam tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good to see you back posting.

Nice job on jam making.

We too make strawberry jam every year. Kids LOVE to go strawberry picking. So the first or the second week or of June, depending on the year, we go strawberry picking couple of times and then off to make jam which lasts us through the winter.

About this time of the year, sometimes I make cheery jam. And yes, we have a few pounds of cherries in the fridge that I bought to make jam but have not done so yet. Maybe tomorrow, lol. Reading blogs is more important, lol.

flyskim said...

Hi Rachel,

Good to hear from you. Sorry this reply is so late. We were going to pick our own strawberries (there are lots of u-pick farms around Portland), but we were at the market and laziness won out. I now appreciate how much work it took to keep a home in the days before processed food. Anyway, this jam was good, but then because we way overbought, I did an oven jam with balsamic vinegar, and that was delicious.

And I just read on another blog about someone making cherry butter. Sounds really yummy. Hope yours turned out beautifully.