Sunday, December 11, 2011

To Melt Into The Sun

When last I posted, I described our plans for the flyskim dad to move to Portland at the end of November.  The world had its own ideas.  After my dad was released from the hospital, his condition appeared to improve for the first week.  And then it didn't.  And then his condition worsened, and he decided that he was done fighting and elected hospice care.  (My most heartfelt thanks to the great staff at Sutter Hospice, in particular our nurse case manager, Betty.  This would have been impossible without your care and support.)

My father passed away on November 23, 2011 in his home surrounded by family.  Bye, daddy.  I love you.  It was a real blast being your kid.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family. I wish the memories you have of your dad to stay fresh in your mind for many years and you always feel as if they just happened.

Both my parents passed away in a car accident several years ago. A day doesn't go by that I don't think about them and not remembering them by. Maybe it is foolish of me, but I have come to believe that they are always with me and watching over us!

So sorry for you loss.
Take care
Rachel

flyskim said...

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. It's taking some time to adjust to this, even though he was hospitalized so recently, as I'm sure you are well aware.

I appreciate your sharing your parents' story. I don't think it's foolish to believe that our loved ones look over us when they're no longer with us.

I sure that my dad is in the hereafter participating in whatever bike race he can find. Maybe that's a little silly, but that would make him very happy.