Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Color Is My Day-Long Obsession, Joy and Torment"

~ Claude Monet ~

Over-exposed, I know.  But the backyard was bright, and I had to set the exposure ahead of time for Mr. flyskim.  I think we've all had the dilemma of wanting a good shot but not wanting someone to have to take 9,000 pictures for you, so once he got something semi-in focus, I called it good enough.
So, as I mentioned earlier, there's actually been a good amount of sewing but not much blogging here at Chez flyskim.  My friend H got married at the end of July, and for once, I wanted to actually finish a project in time to actually wear it as intended.


Enter Simplicity 2176.  H got married in her mother's backyard, so I knew that I wanted something lightweight and summery.  I had this pretty cotton stretch sateen from a spring fabric.com order that fit the bill, and I thought that the vintage feel of the Simplicity pattern would suit the fabric beautifully.  For once, I seem to have done a good job pairing the fabric to the pattern, because this dress is just what a summer sundress should be:  light, airy and yet with a little body and shape. 


The pattern was simple to put together.  A princess-seamed bodice with a top band.  I made a size 12 in the bodice with my usual full-bust adjustment (dropped the bust point 1 3/4 inches and then added about 3 inches in total fullness). The full bust adjustment did not affect the bodice band itself, so I cut the size 12.  Then I freaked out a little and added 1/2 inch at each side seam for insurance, and it turns out that I needed it.  I have tried starting with a 14 recently because of this exact problem, but I've ended up with a lot more fit issues that have just frustrated me, so I took a chance and went with the 12 this time.  Turned out well because the fit around the bodice is great. 

I used the thicker straps because I wanted the option of wearing a standard bra and still be able to take off my sweater if I wanted (you eventually reach and age when visible bra straps are just tacky).  This means that I did not use the markings given for attaching the straps.  Instead, I tried the dress on without straps and pinned them on to match my bra straps.  Because the straps are sandwiched it between the top band and the facing, you need to do this prior to attaching the facing for this to work.  In reality, it turns out that I didn't need to worry about it so much because I actually prefer the dress with the sweater.

Oops.  I was in such a hurry to wear this, I haven't tacked down the facings yet.  Better see to that.
I also cut a 16 in the skirt but had to bring it in a little at the side seams, not because I should have cut the smaller sized but because the skirt seems a little large to me.  This is straightforward because the pleating on the skirt does not alter from size to size.  The size of the skirt is entirely dependent on the side seam.

The lace was a simple addition.  When I first planned the dress, I expected to have to catch the lace in the seam between the bodice band and the skirt band, but the instructions just have you tack it on to the outside.  I started out by hand sewing the bodice lace on because I thought that would be less visible, but that was time consuming, and since my hand stitches didn't seem to show, I took a chance and stitched the skirt lace on by machine.  Good thing, too, because I finished this up right before lunch on the day of the wedding. 


All in all, a very successful venture.  I did think that this dress was going to be pretty versatile, but I've discovered that it's a little too dressy for general weekend wear for me.  But with a cardigan, it's a pretty addition to my business casual work wardrobe. It's probably because I like the look of this dress better on me with a sweater as it's been too hot around here lately to wear one if there's no air-conditioning (which we only have in the bedroom) and by the time it's general sweater weather again, the dress will be too summery for me.  Something else for me to consider in the future when planning garments.

No comments: