Thursday, August 5, 2010

Is It Fall Yet?

Helen: Oh, Jakey, do you realize what a momentous summer our girls have had? Quinn learned she's smarter than she thought, and Daria has her first boyfriend.

Jake: It's summer already?

Actually, for the past two weeks around the San Francisco Bay Area, you wouldn't have known that it was summer.  It didn't top 75 degrees the entire time I was there which was fine with me because I was not meant to survive with the temperature much above 80.  But now I am back in Portland with its actual summer weather, and I dream of fall.  Tights?  Yes, please.  Boots?  Definitely.  Sweaters?  Did I ever really take them off?  So here are the projects that I have planned going into fall.


 

I've been saving a wonderful piece of two-way stretch wool knit for the past two years for just the right pattern, and I think this is it.  I'm planning the above dress for Thanksgiving with Mr. flyskim's family.  The fabric is this really pretty raisin color, and I think it will be perfect.  Okay, given my recent lack of success matching fabric to pattern, I hope it will be perfect, and I'm trying not to psych myself out so much that I'm afraid to cut into the material.

Please ignore the cat hair. 
View A
This calls for a two-way stretch knit, and I just happen to have one lying around my stash with enough yardage to put together a dress.  I hope the pattern isn't too busy for the neckline detail.  I think this will be great with a cute little cardigan and some tights.




View D.  I know that a bold floral doesn't necessarily scream fall, but this cotton jacquard has a good weight, the colors are rich and the pattern is smoke-like.




Either view C or D.  I haven't decided which one, yet.  I'll have to see how my fabric drapes.  I'm thinking of using this large-scale plaid pattern.  It's a poly suiting, but it feels really nice, and I think that it will make a great modern interpretation of a kilt.  No giant pin holding the layers together, though.




Fall in Portland is relatively mild, so I can use a great blouse.  I've been wanting to make this forever (well, at least since the pattern was published), and it's going into the production queue.  I'll make view F with the short sleeves.  


This is a Liberty print that I picked up from Josephine's Dry Goods back in February, I think.  I got it because I thought my dad would get a kick out of it.  After it's done, I'll have to make sure I wear it around him.  The print is really small scale, and I love that it's mostly neutral.  I'm also going to make a simple skirt out of the stretch twill below, but I'm not sure which one, yet.


No comments: