Saturday, April 24, 2010

Merry, Merry, Pick A Cherry


I found this great cherry-print fabric at the Mill End Store a few weeks ago and knew right away that it would made a perfect summer shirt dress.


To be honest, I'm not really sure what to say about this dress.  Because I haven't made many button-down shirts or anything with princess seams in years upon years, I followed the instructions to the letter.  At least, I think I did.  For the most part, I found them quite good, but then this is pretty basic construction.  I used my new serger  to finish the facings (and attach the skirt) rather than folding them under, but I think that's the only thing I did differently. 


I would have liked a little more guidance on the collar band because I didn't realize it would need as much easing as it did, and my easing needs work.  I'm sure there are a couple of places where the fabric got caught, but since it's under the collar, I'm not worrying about it too much. 

 It looks all sad and shapeless on the hanger.

I shortened the skirt by six inches and took a half inch off the bottom of the collar as well.  If you look at the product shot, the collar really does look like something that Tony Manero would have worn to win a dance competition at 2001 Odyssey (that's my roundabout way of saying that the collar looks like it came straight out of 1977).  And I love the buttons.  I had to go to three different fabric stores to get enough (the pattern calls for 11).  The remind me of cherry candy, and when the light hits them correctly, they sparkle.

Please ignore the unsnipped threads.

I think the dress is cute.  That's not damning with faint praise because I loves me a shirt dress, and I'll wear this often once the weather gets going.  But it's not perfect stylewise.  I think I would like something with a fuller skirt and maybe not with buttons all the way down.  I'm going to take a look at some vintage patterns.  That being said, I may make another view of this dress:  the one with the round neck and cap sleeves.

I'm thrilled that my little, red Mary-Janes go with this so well.  I got these shoes for $12.99 at Payless Shoe Source about three years ago, and they are the best shoes ever.  I've tried to replace them with something "better" and haven't been able to find anything I like half as much.

I'm not sure what I'm working on next.  I'm currently doing pattern alterations for several things including a vintage skirt pattern and two blouses.  I also need to look through my dress patterns because I've recently picked up some really pretty floral lawn.  But since the serger is all set up with white thread, I might do a couple of cotton jersey tops.  And then I have to hit the Simplicity sale at Joann's.  I have some lightweight denim, and it's calling for this pattern.

No comments: