Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sometimes Copying is Necessary

Like when you miss out on the most perfect winter scarf at Anthropologie because it's Christmas Eve, but you have tickets to A Christmas Carol, and the store is so crowded that there's no way you're going to be able to both buy the scarf and make the curtain.  Particularly since your mother has no interest in fighting the last-minute shopping crowd with you.  Luckily, a fellow Ravelry member, Meghan Fernandes, worked out the pattern to my coveted scarf, so I took needles in hand to make my own version.  Meghan's instructions can be found on her blog, Allergic To Wool.


The instructions were great.  Very clear and well-thought out.  I followed them as written except I added a full repeat to the cable pattern and I only did the broomstick crochet to 2 inches instead of 2.5 (I didn't feel comfortable using just a slip of paper for the edge, and I had a 2-inch bookmark just sitting there).  I think I did the single crochet around the edge of the ruffle too tightly, because it curls to one side, and if I make it again, I will correct that.  It's reversible, so the scarf looks great from both sides. 

 Scarf as still life.

I love how this turned out.  I used three skeins of Malabrigo Worsted in Velvet Grape purchased at The Yarn Garden on Hawthorne.  Not only was I able to add the scarf that I thought had gotten away to my wardrobe, I was able to upgrade the materials (the original was acrylic) and personalize the color.  The original was an ivory which is actually a little more in my comfort zone for scarves, but it was cold on the day I bought the yarn, so I went with a color that made me feel warm.  And I still have enough for a matching hat.

On the sewing front, the fashion fabric for McCalls 5818 is cut out and marked.  I'll cut and mark the lining and start the sewing over the next week.  I hope to have this finished by next weekend.  I'm planning on using a new-to-me* of putting in the lining, so I can't start the sewing until the lining is cut and ready to sew as well.  I'm really excited about this dress.  It's going to be a dark gray suiting with a subtle tweed to it, and I think it will be a great winter into spring transition piece.  Now that I've said that, watch this be a wadder.


*I've only ever lined one dress before, and I just followed the instructions in the pattern, so any other method of lining is new to me.

No comments: