Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Exactly when did I move to Roswell?

-or-

The UnFinished Object Post

I'm great at starting things. In fact, there's nothing that I like better than planning a new project. It's the finishing that leaves something to be desired. So in order to keep myself on the straight and narrow road to productivity, I'm going to complete all of my current unfinished projects. Here's the whole, messy lot of them.

Butterick 5319

So far, this is the best dress I've ever made. I don't usually wear pink, but this fabric just spoke to me. I've done a lot of things with this pattern that I've never done before. The dress is fully lined (never lined a garment before), and I put in my first invisible zipper. Looks kind of pretty from the outside, don't you think? Well, aside from the blue sewing marker. Now for the ugly.

I need to slipstitch the lining to the zipper and the bodice lining to the skirt. It also needs hemming. However, I forgot to check the length of the pattern, so it's a little short, even unfinished. I have a beautiful piece of lace to tack to the lining to see if it (a) fixes the length problem and (b) looks good. If both (a) and (b) don't work out, I may have to learn to live with exposing my knees to the world. I may be looking for opinions later.

The Dollar and a Half Cardigan

This needs a little more work. All the pieces are finished, but it needs blocking. Those two lumps at the top are the sleeves. And then there's the putting it together. The last complete sweater I made was over 20 years ago, and I just pieced it together like you would a shirt, so I'm going to try to be a lot neater. Then I have to pick up the stitches for the button band. And get buttons. And sew them on. But it's nearly finished, I swear.

Juliet

This has been nearly finished since last year. Blocking, weaving in the ends and buttons are the only things left. I'm not convinced it suits me, but I'm going to finish it before I make a final judgment.

Trapeze Jacket

This is farther along than the picture shows. I've completed the body and am about halfway through the collar. Problem is, I was frustrated with sucking at short rows and stopped working on it, and now I can't remember where I am in the pattern. So, I'll have to rip out the collar and redo it, knit the sleeves and do all of the finishing work. This will probably be the last thing on this list that I finish.

Tangled Yoke Cardigan

I've completed the body up until where the sleeves are to be joined, and I've started the first sleeve. They're knit in the round, and I couldn't get that this was just the same as a sock, so I had to restart the sleeve three times before it finally took. I have to keep plugging away at this, or it will meet the same fate at the Trapeze Jacket.

Socks for mr. flyskim

Nothing to see here. Basic 2x2 rib, top down. He has really big feet, so I hope I have enough yarn.

And that's just the knitting and sewing. We have a couple of house projects going on, but that's for another post. Wish me luck. This will keep me busy for the rest of the summer (or longer). Then I can start planning all of the new projects . . . Oh, who am I kidding? They're already planned, but I can't start anything else before I at least whittle down the list. Anything more and I'll need a 12-step program, and I don't think there's a Crafter's Anonymous out there.

No comments: